North Carolina Marriage Laws (Effective 10-1-2001)Marriage license and certificates of marriage can be purchased in this office. Buncombe County Marriage records are on file dating back to 1891.Both parties to a marriage should appear in person to obtain the license. If one of the parties is unable to appear, the other party to the marriage must appear in person and present a sworn and notarized affidavit from the other member of the party, prior to the issuance of the license. Once the marriage has been performed and both copies of the License returned to the Register of Deeds Office, a Certificate of Marriage may be obtained upon request. Each certified certificate is currently $10.00. Operation:Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. When arriving for a marriage license we ask that both parties arrive prior to 4:00 p.m..Appointment ProcedureNo appointments are necessaryWhat to Bring With YouNorth Carolina law requires all applicants to present their Social Security Card. If a Social Security number has never been issued or the applicant is not eligible for a Social Security number, the applicant will be required to present a completed affidavit, signed and notarized, at the time of applying for the marriage license. The affidavit form is available in the Register of Deeds Office. The Register may accept a Social Security Number from one of the following with their name and number on it if they do not have their card.
- A W-2 Form
- A paycheck stub containing the Social Security Number
- Military discharge
- Medicaid/Medicare Card
- Voter’s Registration Card containing their Social Security Number.
- Health Insurance Card containing their Social Security Number
All applicants, including those not present, must provide a form of identification certificate.
- Applicants 18 to 20 must present a certified copy of their birth certificate.
- All Applicants 16 and 17 must have consent proved by either a parent, individual, agency or institution having legal custody or serving as the legal guardian of the underage applicant, and must accompany the applicants when applying for their license.
- The consenting individual must present proper identification showing proof of their capacity to act on behalf of the underage applicant and sign an affidavit to that effect.
- Each underage applicant must also present social security cards, and a certified birth certificate.
- Applicants 14 and 15 must provide a certified copy of the Court Order authorizing the marriage as well as a certified birth certificate and a Social Security Card.
- A marriage license may not be issued to applicants under the age of 14.
FeesNotice: Effective September 1, 2009, the Marriage License fee will increase to $60.00.
- The License cost is $60.00
- Certified certificates of marriage, after the license has been completed and returned to this office, are $10.00 each, and must be requested in person or by mail.
- You may pre pay for a Certified Certificate when you purchase the license.
- We accept Checks made to the Register of Deeds or Cash.
Contact InformationStreet AddressRoom 110, Buncombe County Courthouse60 Court PlazaAsheville, N. C. 28801-3563Mailing AddressVital Records SectionBuncombe County Register of Deeds Office60 Court PlazaAsheville, N. C. 28801-3563PhoneBirth, Death & Marriage Records(828) 250-4301Main Register of Deeds Office(828) 250-4300 Fax: 828-255-5829
Email: [email protected]